A rainy day means all my plans are cancelled, which means instead of trudging to a party uptown I'm bumming around the house beating Enslaved.

This is acceptable.

The game is good and interesting to boot, claiming (loose) inspiration from the Chinese fable of a Buddhist monk's journey to India. Apparently it's one of the Four Great Classical Novels, novels which I am now resolved to tackle in the time allotted me. I've always felt ill-read when it comes to classic literature, but there's just so damn much of it; I'm working my way through Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow as well as a smorgasbord of other stuff (Chaucer, Ferriss, Allen and Ba) and while I haven't made much progress in any of the above, I should be able to knock out the greatest hits of Chinese classic literature in less than a year thanks to their cultural knack for hyperbole and grandiose titles.

Big words, I know.

I've watched many old friends make choices I don't agree with, and now it's happening again. A few equally old friends are up in arms about the move, but I can't muster the energy to give a shit any longer; we're supposed to be adults, and adults are mature enough to allot each other a modicum of respect and room to make their own mistakes. I want to be the kind of person who can maintain a mature relationship tinged with regret, love and a lack of respect without resorting to turgid theatrics; I wash my hands of the matter.

If this weather keeps up I'll beat this game by Monday, find time to write my monthly column and pick up a pair of these totes sweet brown cordarounds to boot. Not only that, but Strong Beer on Wednesday? It's gonna be a good week.

Comments (0)