Sorry, but I'm spent. My typical day starts with a 7:40 alarm; I roll out of bed to shower and perform my daily ablutions before hitting the train station around 8:30. With luck I'll make the office by 9, work until 6ish, stop by the gym for an hour after work and walk home. I get home around 8:30 or 9 pm, cook dinner and finish up some leftover work, read a book or get some game time in. Rinse, repeat.

That said, it's 11:45 pm and I've spent all day writing, thinking or talking about things to write about. All I have to offer tonight is the unsubtle insight that tech journalism is often a field haunted by hungry ghosts scrounging scraps from the corpse of society.

You see, technology is really the story of human tool-making; in that sense, the story of technology is the story of what separates man from beast. Human society, language and art are tools for self-improvement, just like the latest smartphone or MacBook. It's worthwhile to wriggle free from the churn sometimes to break surface, touch sky and take a moment to breathe and wonder about what we have and can become.

I haven't made much time to browse the web for fun, but ZOMGscience is light in all the right places.

Alex is a quarter century old; his likes include fuji apples, the color green and not being dead.

Comments (0)