It's sort of uncomfortable, how the Facebook designers have reduced friendship to an algorithm.

I think if you don't like maps, we can't really be friends. Cartography is an art that guides in very clear terms; movies, books and music take you to a different place and time, while maps remind you where you could be if you left the daydream behind.

21st Amendment isn't fucking around with their Strong Beer Month promotion, but after sacking up for the past two weeks I've earned five stars and a taste for barley wine. I had a few drinks with friends after work yesterday; I was the only middle-class white male between the age of 18 and 34. Our conversation became a circus, and it wasn't long before the twin elephants of Race and Gender in Media dominated the center ring.

We discussed the hard knock life. In hindsight, my life has been pretty much perfect. I was taunted in grade school, and my parents and I had a few rough years when I was young and (willfully) ignorant. Yet no man has ever had cause or courage to raise his hand against me, and I have never suffered for lack of food, shelter or love. My parents are not divorced or dead, and my sister is pretty chill.

The only social stigmata I have ever suffered due to my appearance have been dry dating periods and being chosen last for high school basketball; I have no interest in race or gender politics, and I do not consciously permit these traits to influence decisions regarding myself or other people. I am wholly outside the discussion.

I have been denigrated before for my lack of interest and cushy upbringing; I find such behavior humbling and a little incongruous with our hope for a better future. My life has been ideal; don't you want the same for your children? You can rail and moan against the zeitgeist, but nobody worth respecting raises their babies to be fighters. To be the best parent you can be, raise your children the way my parents raised me. Then you too can produce happy, productive and content human beings who will passively clown on the future zeitgeist. Would you then deplore them for not suffering through a life of hardship?



Fuck yeah! Menswear!

Comments (1)

On February 21, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Unknown said...

The rest of the world isn't ready to be outside of that discussion. Look at what's happening with the GOP and Planned Parenthood. And that's only our nation. If I recall correctly, you'd never given much thought to why a woman would fear being out alone at night.

All this talk of passivity scares me. I would not want to raise babies incognizant of such issues. If I ever pop any out, they will be happy, productive and content human beings, but not necessarily docile, unless they truly want to be. I can respect it. But to not even be mindful of any of it? Alarming.

And hello.