I was privileged to reclaim my first submitted article from my professor today, with a bevy of helpful hints thrown in free of charge. The usual commendations regarding an expansive vocabulary, proficiency with the language etc. rang a little hollow; I'm 23 and finishing my upper-division coursework in a class that is widely touted as the "boot camp" of the department. The capability to string two cogent thoughts together with the aid of our friend the semi-colon ought to be expected at this stage of the game.

Also, I was chastised for "overwriting."

What the fuck is overwriting? That's like berating the pizza delivery guy because your pizza got there too early. "Hey man, what the hell are you doing here so quick? I barely had time to finish burying the dead hooker out back! You got a serious problem with overdelivering, and I don't tip for that shit."

Comments (5)

On September 23, 2008 at 8:00 PM , Scott Baio is Flipping You the Bird said...

very amusing. you write well.
still i'm shock you think there is such a thing as overwriting.
i'm trying to think of a good example. mr feeney's dialogue from boy meets world is really all that's coming to mind right. but it does exist!

 
On September 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM , Scott Baio is Flipping You the Bird said...

i meant to say:
i'm shocked you think that there is no such thing as overwriting
golly,
my brain is elsewhere
:)

 
On September 24, 2008 at 7:30 PM , Anonymous said...

Yeah just tell your teacher that it is a good hint for overgrading. Maybe an A++++ instead of just an A.

 
On September 28, 2008 at 9:59 PM , Anonymous said...

maybe if you'd post your essay we can let you know if your teacher was right.

tm

 
On September 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM , Alex said...

You can find the article in question at the neighborhood blog I've created under the aegis of a larger class community project.

http://westernaddition.blogspot.com/